Thumb Sucker
It would be super nice to see into the future and know how certain parenting choices would turn out, amiright? I'm pretty confident in most of my choices for Audra, but one thing I just can't decide on is if I should let her suck her thumb.
A few weeks ago she started finding her thumb and then preceded to start sucking it. She doesn't do it that often, I honestly think it is still a little small for her. I don't know if it is the beginning of a full blown habit that I will have to battle with her for years or her just exploring. If I should make her stop now or see if she actually develops an attachment to her thumb? I give her a pacifier before all sleep, so she does take comfort in sucking. I have to admit, though, it would be nice to have her self soothe. I obviously don't want to end up with a 4 year old who has her thumb in her mouth all the time though.
So proud of herself!
We will have to keep an eye on the situation. Is it possible to have a child suck their thumb and it not turn into a full blown habit?



my baby has started sucking her thumb too! i think it's super cute right now but i'm also scared it'll turn into a bad habit (my husband sucked his thumb for way too long! i think he said till elementary school!) for now i'm letting her do it because she uses it to self soothe. i haven't seen her do it much outside her crib either so hopefully it'll just be one of those things she can easily drop later on!
ReplyDeleteSee, everyone has a horror story about someone who couldn't stop! I hate to take away something that comforts her, though. I'm glad I'm not alone.
Delete