Blue Bell Creamery

Having lived in our current area for the better part of a decade and knowing that the home of Blue Bell ice cream was a short drive away, I've been longing to tour the creamery. Since there are no weekend tours (Blue Bell, despite their widespread availability, only operates 12-hour days from Monday to Friday each week), I would have to go on a weekday. I couldn't ever bring myself to "take off" a weekday for the purpose of touring an ice cream factory. With the defense behind me, a one-year old in the family, and the days in the area limited, it was time to go.

I originally wanted to go on Good Friday, but the Blue Bell workers would have the day off and no tours were offered. Jessica's parents had to come visit us today for a few errands, so they and Justin came along with us. Aside from a senior citizens group, we were the first visitors in the tour center.

  

No photography was allowed during the tour (for the privacy of their workers). The tour was about 40 minutes long, and we got to see the making of their typical ice cream and a few novelty items. One of the workers on the floor noticed Audra and started being goofy to get her attention. Audra didn't see her, but we all appreciated her effort.

The end of the tour brought us to their ice cream parlor where we each got one (heaping) serving of ice cream. Additional servings were only $1 each! I wish they had all of the currently-produced flavors in the parlor available, since there are some I wanted to try out before committing to buy a pint or half-gallon.

Here is what we got:
Me: Krazy Kookie Dough
Jessica's Dad: Strawberry
Jessica's Mom: Buttered Pecan
"Audra": Dutch Chocolate

Girl loves her ice cream.

I was coming back from the restroom, and a lady walking in front of me noticed this spectacle.
In the parlor, I discovered a new flavor:

Two of my favorite flavors combined since 2013?! One ice cream blog gave it a grade of B, so the combination is not awful. I'm getting this as soon as I can!

Before leaving, we checked out the little Country Store where Audra scored an "I get cranky without my Blue Bell" shirt and Blue Bell hat courtesy of her Grandpa and Grandma.

Outside the building was a nice area with a statue of the "Cow and Girl" logo and a vintage Blue Bell delivery vehicle.

 






Overall, it was a sweet trip! Next up: an Aggie baseball game at Blue Bell Park!

Comments

Post a Comment