Plant Pods: The Planting
I think this is my first post since moving into the house. Even though our house was well beyond move-in ready and immaculately taken care of by the previous owners, the numerous projects we've undertaken "to make the house ours" have been progressing slowly but surely, especially with young kids in the house. We'll get around to showing what all we've done with the house, but I thought I'd return to posting with something that makes sense to do in "real-time."
It's spring time. The trees are growing green leaves. The azaleas have bloomed, the hydrangeas are sprouting from the ground, and the grass (and the weeds) are growing. I've been wanting to grow something just to try my hand at gardening (and perhaps it's the cool, hip thing to do as young adults). My parents were into gardening when I was growing up. Mostly fruit trees and flowers, not so much herbs or fruits from plants.
When I saw a TV commercial for Miracle-Gro Gro-able Seed Pods, it seemed like something that would give me a good start on the garden. At Walmart one night, I found myself in the gardening aisle, and the only two things that seemed good were the basil and the watermelon. The pods are self- contained with seeds, soil, and enough fertilizer for the first 30 days. You can start them inside or outside; since I didn't want the dirt inside, I opted to start outside in two hanging pots (whatever was in them died during the winter).
I enlisted Audra's help, since it will be fun for her to water them every day and watch them grow. Plus, she won't turn down a chance to be a big helper.
![]() |
| Smiling with our planted pods, even while being bitten by mosquitoes. |
![]() |
| Strong and handy enough to turn on the faucet from our rain bucket! |
![]() |
| Watering the plants so that they'll grow big and strong like her. |
It takes about a week to germinate and then harvest is in 7-8 weeks for the basil and 11-12 weeks for the watermelon. Stay tuned for more plant pod posts!



Awww, those pics are so cute! Hopefully you'll get some nice big watermelons for summer!
ReplyDelete