Shrimp Boil & Mixed Drinks
We closed on the house seven months ago and I had yet to invite any of my work friends to our home aside from the Halloween get-together where we mostly sat outside and gave candy to hundreds of trick-or-treaters going through our neighborhood.
With most of the house projects done (I'll post about those soon, I swear!) and with things turning green everywhere because of the spring season, it was time to have that housewarming party. Jessica suggested we do a shrimp boil, and that sounded great to me! Easy, plentiful, and we have a stock pot just waiting to be used more than once.
I searched for shrimp boil recipes and came down to two recipes. The final recipe was a cross between a recipe from Old Bay and another from Paula Deen. I'll provide the recipe as I would make it the next time.
Mai Shrimp Boil Recipe (v.2)
Feeds 5-6
Ingredients
The food was good. The beer was good. Even the mixed drinks I made were good (frozen peach margaritas and mint mojito; see recipes below) considering I've hardly made any before. The only casualty of the boil that I know of thus far was the oven mitt that I absent-mindedly placed near the burner after the first boil batch; it caught on fire and was fortunately noticed by one of my guests while it was still manageable.
--------------------------------------------------------
Frozen Peach Margarita
slightly modified recipe from Martha Stewart
provides 4 large servings
Ingredients
With most of the house projects done (I'll post about those soon, I swear!) and with things turning green everywhere because of the spring season, it was time to have that housewarming party. Jessica suggested we do a shrimp boil, and that sounded great to me! Easy, plentiful, and we have a stock pot just waiting to be used more than once.
I searched for shrimp boil recipes and came down to two recipes. The final recipe was a cross between a recipe from Old Bay and another from Paula Deen. I'll provide the recipe as I would make it the next time.
Mai Shrimp Boil Recipe (v.2)
Feeds 5-6
Ingredients
- 3 quarts water (I did 5 quarts because it took 2 quarts to fill the space beneath the strainer)
- 1/2 cup OLD BAY seasoning
- 2-1/2 lbs. medium-size red potatoes (quartered)
- 4 ears corn (each broken into 2 or 3 pieces)
- 2 lbs. sausage (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 lbs. large shrimp, head off, shell on (by definition, with legs and not yet deveined)
Instructions
- Add water and seasoning to stock pot. Bring to boil.
- Add red potatoes. Boil for 13 minutes.
- Add corn and sausage. Boil for 7 minutes.
- Add shrimp. Boil for 4 minutes.
- Remove everything from stock pot and serve hot! Top with seasoning if desired.
I doubled the recipe by making two batches of the boil. I used the same water and seasoning for both batches, and that worked out well. I bought the shrimp from a local seafood market ($5.99/lb. for fresh, never frozen, and local shrimp; they even took the heads off for free!). Instead of being traditional and serving the boil on newspaper, I used an aluminum tray.
![]() |
| I didn't get a picture of the boil right after it came out of the pot and in the tray, so you get this picture of it as leftovers on a plate. |
![]() |
| Shiner Bock (popular beer made near where we used to live) and 30A Beach Blonde (popular beer made near where we live now). |
--------------------------------------------------------
Frozen Peach Margarita
slightly modified recipe from Martha Stewart
provides 4 large servings
Ingredients
- 1 lb. frozen peach slices
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1/2 cup silver tequila
- 1/4 cup triple sec
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup water
Instructions
- Put everything into a blender and puree until smooth.
- If a salted rim is desired, take a lime wedge and wet the rim of your glass. Put a lot of kosher salt into a plate. Turn the glass over and dip it into the plate of salt.
- Serve the margarita immediately.
- Enjoy.
--------------------------------------------------------
Mint Mojito
recipe from Brandy on Allrecipes.com
provides 1 large serving
Ingredients
Mint Mojito
recipe from Brandy on Allrecipes.com
provides 1 large serving
Ingredients
- 10 mint leaves
- 4 limes wedges
- 2 tbsp. white sugar
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1-1/2 oz. white rum
- 1/2 cup club soda
Instructions
- Place mint leaves and one lime wedge into a glass. Muddle the mint leaves and lime wedge to release the flavors.
- Add two lime wedges and the sugar to the glass. Muddle the lime wedges.
- Add the ice cubes to the glass.
- Pour the rum over the ice.
- Add the club soda to the glass.
- Stir, taste, and add more sugar if desired.
- Garnish with the remaining lime wedge.
- Enjoy.




Comments
Post a Comment