Camping by the Beach

One of the benefits of my current employer is access and use of its Outdoor Recreation services. They provide training and rentals of watercraft (canoes, kayaks, paddleboards, deck boats, pontoon boats), and they organize events to explore nearby recreational areas. I've often rented kayaks and paddleboards from them.

Over the summer, they host beach camping weekends. A movie showing is part of the weekend as well as s'mores. I signed Audra and me up for the September campout in hopes that it would be cooler weather; I despise camping in hot and humid weather (I never understood the appeal of summer camp in Texas).

We had taken Audra camping before we moved from Texas (part 1 and part 2, and she seemed to do well, so I was excited to take her camping on my own.


A community grill was available, but I didn't want to deal with the hassle of a toddler and cooking food, so I stopped at a local hamburger joint on the way in.

My big helper helping herself to dinner for the night while I set up shelter.

Tent's up! Let's go to the beach!


Movie night with the inflatable screen!

Movie popcorn!

The movie of the evening was originally "Home," but they had showed it at last month's campout, so they showed "Wreck-It Ralph" instead. I enjoyed the movie and probably would've seen it sooner had I known it was based on video games. I think Audra seemed to enjoy it.

After the movie, we went back to our tent to turn in for the night, and everything seemed to be going well. I was hoping the activity and the darkness would help Audra go to sleep earlier than she had been, but she went to sleep later at 10:00 or 10:30.

Audra had claimed the Thermarest, so I was left with my sleeping bag as padding and waking up periodically to shift myself. Around 2:30am, I noticed Audra sit up and then upchuck her dinner. Great. I cleaned up what I could, put her in another set of clothes, gave her some water, and put her back to sleep.

3:00 am. Sits up. Upchucks. Clean up what I can. New set of clothes. More water. Well, maybe it's nervousness and anxiety. Plus, she couldn't have had anything more left after everything that came out. Put her back to sleep on whatever was still clean.

3:30 am. Sits up. Upchucks the water she had. Okay, that's it. Cleaned her up. No clean clothes left. I packed up the necessary items, and I drove us home with her in just her panties. She then upchucked one more time at home after I had showered her off. She was obviously sick and didn't show signs of fever, but she went to sleep the rest of the night. I obviously woke Jessica when we got home, and she didn't feel well either, but we thought it was just from us waking her up.

4:30 am. We're all asleep.

7:00 am. I get up to go back to the beach to pack up the gear I had left behind. Jessica still feels sick and is sleeping. Audra is still sleeping, thank goodness.

Our diagnosis was that we all had a stomach bug. Jessica thinks Brooke had it first, because she was spitting up and being cranky. This then gets passed to Jessica and Audra (wonderful timing), and then on to me. Lots of vomiting and ugh all around...that was a rough weekend, and I'm disappointed that it cut our camping weekend short. Luckily, Jessica felt a little better right before I got the worst of it, so we weren't both down at the same time. We're obviously all better now, and I'm looking forward to next year's beach camping trip when all of us should be able to go!

Comments

  1. Glad to hear ya'll are all feeling better. Bummer that you had to cut the trip short, but it sounds like it was fun while it lasted!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment