A Naming Story
I am going to backtrack a little to a time before our little one arrived. We didn't want to share our name with too many people before birth because people love to give their opinions and ruin names.
Choosing a name for our little girl was one of the hardest things for me. Before we found out the gender, we had a boy's name picked out and ready to go (if we have a boy in the future, we will probably still use it). We had girls names we liked, but I quickly threw them out because of popularity or other reasons. Chi was not a fan of my style of girl's name (ex. Violet), and he didn't have a lot to offer that I liked. I didn't want a name in the top 10 on SSA for sure, but all the other names just didn't feel right. I spent hours upon hours going through lists of names and still had no favorite.
When it came to her middle name, we knew we were going to do Vietnamese to honor Chi's background. My requirement for the name we chose was that I could pronounce it. I searched a few lists and came upon some good options. Then one night, I came across a new one that wasn't on other lists : Quynh. I quickly got excited because Quinn was on our short list for girls' names, but I wasn't sure about it for a first name. I did some Google searching and confirmed with his cousin that it pretty much has the same pronunciation. At that point, no other middle name would do and Quynh was set in stone.
At some point, I was going through a list of all the employees at the city and came across one with the name Audra. I knew a few Audras, but not closely enough to ruin the name for me. I remember liking it when I first heard it way back years ago. I texted Chi it as an option ,and he said he loved it. I still wasn't sold, though.
A few days later, we came across the name Raelyn. I went back and forth with it a lot - I really liked it, but it seemed a little too trendy and sometimes a bit awkward to say. We tried it out for a number of days, and ultimately, I couldn't see her being that name. I also wasn't a fan of it paired up with Quynh. I felt bad nixing it, Chi had really started to grow attached, so I went back to Audra and tried to get him to forget about Raelyn.
Ultimately, I liked Audra because of a variety of reasons: 1) It started with an A - I love names that start with vowels. 2) It was only 5 letters - I like short names. 3) It isn't a name you hear all the time - although it is close to Audrey, it really has a different feel to it. 4) I really saw it as being a good big sister's name and a good name for her in whatever profession she went for. 5) I loved the way it sounded with Quynh.
In the weeks following her birth, I became happier and happier with our choice. Do I love her name? I can't say that, but I do think it is a great fit for her and I sure don't wish we had named her something different.
Choosing a name for our little girl was one of the hardest things for me. Before we found out the gender, we had a boy's name picked out and ready to go (if we have a boy in the future, we will probably still use it). We had girls names we liked, but I quickly threw them out because of popularity or other reasons. Chi was not a fan of my style of girl's name (ex. Violet), and he didn't have a lot to offer that I liked. I didn't want a name in the top 10 on SSA for sure, but all the other names just didn't feel right. I spent hours upon hours going through lists of names and still had no favorite.
When it came to her middle name, we knew we were going to do Vietnamese to honor Chi's background. My requirement for the name we chose was that I could pronounce it. I searched a few lists and came upon some good options. Then one night, I came across a new one that wasn't on other lists : Quynh. I quickly got excited because Quinn was on our short list for girls' names, but I wasn't sure about it for a first name. I did some Google searching and confirmed with his cousin that it pretty much has the same pronunciation. At that point, no other middle name would do and Quynh was set in stone.
At some point, I was going through a list of all the employees at the city and came across one with the name Audra. I knew a few Audras, but not closely enough to ruin the name for me. I remember liking it when I first heard it way back years ago. I texted Chi it as an option ,and he said he loved it. I still wasn't sold, though.
A few days later, we came across the name Raelyn. I went back and forth with it a lot - I really liked it, but it seemed a little too trendy and sometimes a bit awkward to say. We tried it out for a number of days, and ultimately, I couldn't see her being that name. I also wasn't a fan of it paired up with Quynh. I felt bad nixing it, Chi had really started to grow attached, so I went back to Audra and tried to get him to forget about Raelyn.
Ultimately, I liked Audra because of a variety of reasons: 1) It started with an A - I love names that start with vowels. 2) It was only 5 letters - I like short names. 3) It isn't a name you hear all the time - although it is close to Audrey, it really has a different feel to it. 4) I really saw it as being a good big sister's name and a good name for her in whatever profession she went for. 5) I loved the way it sounded with Quynh.
In the weeks following her birth, I became happier and happier with our choice. Do I love her name? I can't say that, but I do think it is a great fit for her and I sure don't wish we had named her something different.
you could have detached chi from it by mentioning Raylan Given US Deputy Marshall.
ReplyDelete-shane
We don't watch that show.
Delete