Customer Service

We buy a lot of stuff online. It is so convenient and usually the easiest way to find the best deals. The only annoying thing is the amount of cardboard we accumulate. Most purchases come in exactly as expected, and we happily continue upon with our life, but a few times we haven't been so lucky.

A couple of weeks ago, my precious touch lamp bit the dust. Its partner had done so a few years ago so it wasn't a huge surprise. We went online, and I found similar lamps, albeit more than I really wanted to pay, and bought them because what beats a 3-way touch lamp in a kid's room? The lamps arrived, and I was sad to discover that both (it was also a 2-pack) had very noticeable imperfections. Since they cost more than I wanted to spend in the first place, I insisted we contact the seller. It took a few weeks for them to respond, but they finally got back to us and sent out a new set, saying we could just keep the old ones. Sweet!

Well the new set arrived yesterday, and if I thought the first one was bad, this one was 5 times worse. When I opened it, I knew immediately it had been a returned product; the box was missing packaging pieces and was just a hot mess. One lamp had a large weird spot where there was a bubble in the finishing and just looked terrible. The other didn't even work - it just continually stayed on. The shades were misshapen and the part where you attach the bulb and shade were bent on both. So back to emailing them again.

Another recent purchase my mom made for us was an Easter basket for Audra. It was a GMA deal and was an awesome little surprise for us. Unfortunately, the basket itself was not the quality I would have expected. It smelt like paint when I opened the plastic wrap, and you could see the poor paint job and wonky bottom. They emailed my mom and asked for a review of the product. I wrote a review very similar to what I just wrote but mentioned that it was well-packaged and the liner was perfect. Well, that little review was worth it because my mom got a full refund!

You can't really tell in this picture, but you can see
the bottom is messed up on the right.

We are not people who like to complain, but with the global competition these online (and local) retailers are facing, it really pays to contact the retailer to give them a chance to make it right than be dissatisfied with the whole experience. Plus, I think it is important to voice your opinion as a consumer, even if the company doesn't do anything for you.

On that note, this art print:



Also got full refund plus store credit because it was packaged poorly and arrived bent. 

Comments