Naps on Mommy
Since Audra was born, she pretty much exclusively took her naps on someone - usually me. Over the past few weeks, we have gotten a nap here and there in her Pack 'N Play, but mostly she is attached to me. Honestly, it is mostly my fault. I was too lazy to actively put her to sleep or to move her when she fell asleep for fear she would wake up and I would have to get her back to sleep.
The thing is, she can put herself to sleep. Some comfort before you put her down can be helpful, but all she really needs is a swaddle, white noise, and a pacifier. The pacifier she usually refuses at first, but I make her take it because it usually is the key to actually getting her to sleep.
So, yesterday I decided to break the cycle. She was only going to sleep in her crib if she slept, and if that meant no sleep and a cranky baby, then that was how it was going to be. I have to say, we had quite the success. Her first nap was only 25 min, but I considered that awesome. Her second nap was an impressive hour and a half. She woke up about 3 times, but quickly put herself back to sleep. Awesome sauce. Her third nap was 45 min. I had wanted to put her down for the night at 7, but when 6 rolled around, her eyes were heavy, and she was already fed, changed and had had her bath. I decided it couldn't hurt for her to start sleeping then. She lasted about 37 min. Then she ate and pooped and ate some more. We got her back down at 8:30 and she slept for 7 straight hours. Yay!
Today hasn't gone as well. She was visibly tired but wouldn't put herself to sleep and kept refusing the pacifier. I gave up and picked her up and put her in my lap and said, "You win for now, sunshine." And do you know what that girl did, she giggled! And giggled some more. She was being so adorable, how could I banish her back to the crib. I made some fishy faces at her, and she mimicked me by making a small o with her mouth. If that isn't cuddly adorable, I don't know what is. So, as I type this up, she is sleeping away on my chest, happy as a clam. And I am happy to cuddle with her, it is Valentine's Day after all.
Maybe I can be stronger tomorrow.
Successful nap on Jan 31
The thing is, she can put herself to sleep. Some comfort before you put her down can be helpful, but all she really needs is a swaddle, white noise, and a pacifier. The pacifier she usually refuses at first, but I make her take it because it usually is the key to actually getting her to sleep.
So, yesterday I decided to break the cycle. She was only going to sleep in her crib if she slept, and if that meant no sleep and a cranky baby, then that was how it was going to be. I have to say, we had quite the success. Her first nap was only 25 min, but I considered that awesome. Her second nap was an impressive hour and a half. She woke up about 3 times, but quickly put herself back to sleep. Awesome sauce. Her third nap was 45 min. I had wanted to put her down for the night at 7, but when 6 rolled around, her eyes were heavy, and she was already fed, changed and had had her bath. I decided it couldn't hurt for her to start sleeping then. She lasted about 37 min. Then she ate and pooped and ate some more. We got her back down at 8:30 and she slept for 7 straight hours. Yay!
Today hasn't gone as well. She was visibly tired but wouldn't put herself to sleep and kept refusing the pacifier. I gave up and picked her up and put her in my lap and said, "You win for now, sunshine." And do you know what that girl did, she giggled! And giggled some more. She was being so adorable, how could I banish her back to the crib. I made some fishy faces at her, and she mimicked me by making a small o with her mouth. If that isn't cuddly adorable, I don't know what is. So, as I type this up, she is sleeping away on my chest, happy as a clam. And I am happy to cuddle with her, it is Valentine's Day after all.
Her thumb is not in her mouth, just a fist in front of her face.
Maybe I can be stronger tomorrow.


Comments
Post a Comment